Baked Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi Gnudi
500gm firm ricotta
50gm Parmesan, grated
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs tomato paste
1 x 400gm tin crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper
1. In a hot pan, wilt the spinach with a few tablespoons of water and transfer to a tray to cool.
2. Once it’s cool enough to handle, squeeze out all excess moisture with your hands and chop the spinach roughly.
3. Mix together the spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, eggs, nutmeg and salt and pepper until well combined.
4. Roll heaped dessertspoon amounts of the mixture into balls.
5. Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
6. Add the tomato paste and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the sauce into a greased ovenproof dish and space the ricotta balls evenly on top.
8. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 180°C.
9. Serve with a simple green salad and crusty bread.